Caregiving and stress typically go hand in hand. Dedicating your life to satisfying the needs of an older loved one can be tough, particularly when a chronic health condition is at play, leaving family caregivers with less time to meet their own needs and for fulfilling and relaxing activities. However, it’s vitally important for family caregivers to make it a point to carve out regular, ongoing time to de-stress and restore their energy, and to make their own self-care a top priority.
At Enhanced Home Care, providers of the home care Prairie Village, KS families rely on, we want to help family members remain in good health as well as the older adults for whom they’re providing care. These guidelines can help replace stress with tranquility, and restore a healthy life balance for family caregivers:
- Breathe deeply. Deep, controlled breathing, as ordinary as it sounds, is a wonderful means to very quickly calm anxiety and stress. Sit in a relaxed position, breathe in with your nose for a count of five, and then breathe out through your nose for a count of 5. Repeat a handful of times, and build up the length of time you breathe in and out, up to a count of ten.
- Focus on your blessings. It’s easy to focus on the challenges at hand and lose sight of the countless upsides that make up each of our lives. Making a conscious effort to take a mental inventory of things you’re thankful for can help tremendously with shifting your mindset, irrespective of how small the positives may seem: a patch of sunlight shining through the living room window, a steaming cup of tea, the laughter of your loved one at a shared memory.
- Give your self-worth a boost. Replacing negative thoughts with positive ones also applies to our internal conversation about ourselves. Rather than being harsh with yourself internally over losing your patience or an oversight you’ve made, emphasize to yourself that you’re doing the best you can and are working hard to make life the best it can be for your loved one.
- Get moving. Physical activity releases endorphins to naturally lift your mood and sense of well-being. Although it can be difficult to set aside time for a good workout, it’s helpful to break an exercise schedule into smaller chunks and still gain the rewards. For example, park your car farther from the store when running errands, make an effort to always take the steps instead of the elevator, and pedal on a stationary bike while conversing with your senior loved one.
- Find a partner in care. Most importantly, recognize that no one can manage caregiving tasks all alone. Partnering with a trusted in-home care agency, like Enhanced Home Care, allows family caregivers time away to rest and recharge, while having the assurance that their older loved one is receiving high quality care.
Are you ready to enjoy a life of decreased stress and enhanced peace of mind? Contact Enhanced Home Care, providers of the high quality home care Prairie Village, KS families need, for more tips and resources for cutting down on caregiving stress and for a partner in care to walk with you every step of the way with professional in-home care services for seniors!Kindly go to setting page and check the option "Place them manually"