We all know what it’s like to experience “one of those days” – you’ve hit the snooze button one too many times and missed an important appointment, the coffee maker chose today to stop operating, you tripped over the dog, dropping your phone and smashing the screen, and as if that’s not bad enough, you feel a cold coming on; and it’s not even 9 a.m. yet.
For people who are caregiving for a senior loved one, every day can feel jam-packed with this same amount of stress. Our Overland Park, KS home care team at Enhanced Home Care understands! Concerns about making sure that your loved one is comfortable, safe, and healthy combine with the stress of how to perform all of the day’s to-dos, and the last thing on a caregiver’s mind may be a hearty belly laugh. Nonetheless, that may actually be just what the doctor ordered to lessen stress and enable you to once again discover the joy and benefits of providing care for your loved one.
As a matter of fact, the benefits of laughter to both our psychological and physical health are significant and well documented, such as:
- Giving our immunity a boost
- Lowering our levels of stress hormones
- Minimizing pain
- Enhancing the heart’s functionality and reducing heart attack risk
- Releasing endorphins that promote stress reduction for nearly an hour
- And even elevating our chance of living longer!
Naturally, we’re not suggesting taking serious problems lightly, or laughing at your senior loved one. The key is in looking for humor in the everyday experiences you face, and then sharing laughter together. Following are a few tips to get you started:
- Plan an evening of comedy. Find a classic comical movie your family has enjoyed in the past, or a taping of a stand-up comedian, grab some snacks, relax and enjoy the show.
- Search online for jokes, funny stories, and one-liners, and make a list of those that are particularly funny. Designate specific points during the day as “joke time,” drop whatever chore or task you’re doing at those selected times, and take a quick joke break.
- Spend time with kids. Children are innately cheerful, and merely being around them as they play will no doubt lead to limitless possibilities for laughter.
- Take time to reminisce over favorite funny stories from the past. Pulling out family photos or old home movies is a wonderful way to spark favorite recollections.
- Break out of the everyday routine. It’s easy to become stuck in a pattern of busyness with duties and then crashing in front of the TV. Organize an outing to try something new with your senior loved one and simply enjoy quality time together.
Enhanced Home Care is always available to help alleviate stress in a variety of ways. Allow us to provide assistance with housework, laundry, preparing meals, running errands and more, and rediscover the pleasure of having fun with your senior loved one! Providing the highest quality Overland Park, KS home care, we’re here with as much or as little assistance needed to improve quality of life for both your senior loved one and yourself. Contact us at 913-327-0000 to learn more!Kindly go to setting page and check the option "Place them manually"