Don’t you love turning to the first page of a new novel? There’s a feeling of anticipation at the start of a story, and with the beginning of a new year, that same level of hopeful excitement is present in our lives. What’s more, we have some degree of control over how our story will play out, as we resolve to make healthy lifestyle changes to enhance our overall wellbeing, our relationships with others, and the course our lives will take.
For older adults, making resolutions is an excellent way to impart a sense of achievement, meaning, and purpose in life. An enjoyable bonding activity for families is to sit down together and write down a documentation of each person’s plans for the new year, and how to set about accomplishing those. Some ideas to jumpstart the discussion, especially for the seniors in your life, include:
- Aim for Five. The USDA recommends five portions of fruits and vegetables each day for adults, including senior citizens. Top choices include those that are brightly colored or dark green, such as collard greens, kale, spinach, bell peppers, carrots and melons.
- Get Going! Every one of us can reap benefits from some added physical activity. Start with a consultation with the doctor to receive his or her recommendation on a senior exercise regimen, and then put a plan in place to implement. Great exercises for many older individuals include tai chi, swimming or water aerobics, yoga, and walking. Partnering with a family member, or a professional in-home caregiver from a reputable senior care company, can provide the motivation and encouragement to stick to it.
- Make an Appointment – or a Few. Take out the calendar, pick up the phone, and arrange for all those screenings and tests you’ve been putting off: hearing and vision checkups, colon and breast cancer screenings, osteoporosis tests, etc.
- Boost Your Brain. Make this the year to learn something new or to try something you’ve never taken the time to try. For seniors, there are a number of senior-specific training courses at community colleges that offer the added benefit of forming new friendships. Other good choices include online language courses, memory games and puzzles, or learning activities at the local library.
- Kick a Bad Habit. Whether it’s stopping smoking, curbing alcohol consumption, or some other unhealthy habit, the new year is the perfect occasion to choose to overcome it. Setting simple goals and celebrating along the way is a great way to ensure success.
At Enhanced Home Care, we’re available to help seniors set and reach new goals this year with our professional Kansas City home health care services. Just a few of the many ways we can make a difference:
- Offer safe, accompanied transportation for older individuals to medical appointments, exercise programs, classes, social outings, and more
- Fix nutritious, delicious meals according to any prescribed dietary plans
- Run errands such as shopping for groceries to keep the fridge and pantry well stocked
- Provide medication reminders to confirm prescriptions are taken exactly as recommended
- And much more