It’s common to find yourself swept up in the whirlwind of to-dos that require our attention during the holidays: all of the shopping and wrapping, preparing and decorating, writing and sending, visiting and baking. But in the course of the busyness, it’s also easy to forget about the importance of slowing down enough to truly enjoy the companionship of our senior loved ones. With a little inventive thought, holiday fun can be fine-tuned to incorporate activities for young and old, and everyone in between.
- Design uncomplicated holiday decorations together, such as clove-studded oranges, paper chains or snowflakes, hand-crafted ornaments, etc.
- Gather together to sing some favorite holiday songs, and reminisce over memories these songs bring to mind.
- Bake holiday treats like homemade cookies or candy, particularly those the senior family member has made over his or her lifetime, permitting him or her to pass the custom on to the children and other family members.
- Write out holiday cards and wrap gifts as a family, allowing younger children and older adults who may have difficulty with these tasks to add name tags, stickers, bows, etc.
- Enjoy a few hours spent watching classic holiday movies together.
- Go out together to take in a holiday program or play at a local school or community center.
- Arrange for a game night with a holiday twist, such as holiday charades or name that holiday tune, or with classic board or card games that the older adult may have grown up playing.
- Consider as a family a charitable cause that means a lot to you, and work together to help in some way, such as through collecting warm gloves for those in need, or baking homemade dog treats for the local animal shelter.
- Take a drive to view holiday lights, or stroll through the mall and enjoy the holiday atmosphere.
- Create a “remember when…” video or journal, with the senior sharing some memories of previous holidays while the younger ones record or write down their stories, draw accompanying pictures, and ask questions to learn more.
For more recommendations on holiday activities for seniors, contact the in-home care professionals at Enhanced Home Care. We’re also available to help make the holidays brighter and safer for seniors, and to minimize stress for family members, through customized home care services such as:
- Accompanied transportation for holiday events and outings
- Help with house cleaning and organization
- Errand-running to pick up groceries, gifts, or any other necessary items
- Assistance with holiday decorating
- Companionship to share in conversations, arts & crafts, exercising, reminiscing, and more
Contact the Kansas City home health care professionals at your convenience at 913-327-0000 to learn more about our senior care services, to request resources related to your senior loved one’s needs, or to schedule a free in-home consultation. From all of us at Enhanced Home Care, we wish you and your family the happiest of holidays!