The holiday season is finally here! Friends and families gather together from far and wide to reminisce, celebrate, and share in the feelings of joy and love that make this time of year so meaningful. And naturally, what would the holidays be without festive decorations to brighten up our homes and rekindle recollections of treasured holidays from the past?
As enjoyable as it is to dive into decorating, these holiday tips for seniors are important to keep in the front of your mind to ensure that the season remains free of potential dangers:
- Forego fires. Although chestnuts roasting on an open fire may seem splendid in a song, candles and fireplaces are major contributors to holiday fires. Battery-powered candles are a much safer alternative to provide a warm atmosphere.
- Go artificial. If the older adult would like a tree to decorate, a safe and easy-to-maintain choice is an artificial tree as opposed to a live one. And be especially careful with ornaments. Although traditional decorations are definitely a treasure, a lot of them are made from delicate glass. An option to keep both the senior and the ornaments safe is to carefully pull out and enjoy viewing and sharing stories about the more fragile ornaments, but then hang only shatter-proof decorations on the tree itself.
- Reduce the risk of electrical incidents. Thoroughly check strings of lighting and other decorations that need electricity, as well as extension cords, to assure they’re free of wear and tear or fraying. Updated guidelines for holiday lights were set in 2015 by the Consumer Product Safety Commission to entail over-current protection, a minimum wire size, and other requirements, so it’s a good idea to swap any older electric decorations with newer, safer ones. And, remember to unplug all lights and decorations when they’re unsupervised, such as when leaving the home or going to bed.
Another great way to verify that seniors continue to be safe and thoroughly enjoy the holiday season is by working with a competent home care agency, such as Enhanced Home Care. We provide families with the opportunity to step back from the hustle and bustle and spend quality time together, by aiding with a variety of senior care needs, such as:
- Housework and laundry
- Planning and preparing meals
- Personal care needs, such as bathing/showering, dressing, hair care, etc.
- Running errands
- Transportation to enjoyable events, visits with family and friends, medical appointments, etc.
- Friendly companionship to take part in favorite activities and pastimes together
- And so much more
Our caregivers are fully trained and experienced in providing the Kansas City home health care services that improve quality of life for older individuals, right where they are most comfortable: at home. Contact us at 913-327-0000 for more holiday tips for seniors, or to schedule a complimentary in-home consultation to find out how our personalized senior care can help your loved one.